• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll Licenses Bocchi the Rock! Compilation Films

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Raebo101

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2024 11:25 am Reply with quote
If you gave this a dub, Crunchyroll, I might've actually cared about this.

Like, not every anime needs a dub, but when you're a company dead set on dubbing every dogwater isekai anime under the sun, but pass on THIS... you might need to get your priorities in order.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2024 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Raebo101 wrote:

Like, not every anime needs a dub, but when you're a company dead set on dubbing every dogwater isekai anime under the sun, but pass on THIS... you might need to get your priorities in order.

Can't disagree here. I get that sometimes they don't simuldub something that caught on more than expected, but it's not like they haven't dubbed stuff for a later home video release, and by then they knew, so I'm left to believe that for whatever reason, a choice was made not to dub Bocchi.
louis6578

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2024 12:42 pm Reply with quote
Raebo101 wrote:

Good time to remind Crunchyroll that Rurouni Kenshin 2023 and In Another World With My Smartphone have dubs, but Bocchi The Rock doesn't.
TiagoCosta

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2024 1:10 pm Reply with quote
louis6578 wrote:
Raebo101 wrote:

Good time to remind Crunchyroll that Rurouni Kenshin 2023 and In Another World With My Smartphone have dubs, but Bocchi The Rock doesn't.

There are dozens great examples of bomb/flops that got dubbed.

But smartphone s1 was huge, no brainer dub.

Rurouni Kenshin dub got zero to do with CR, it’s AoA.
RobbiRobb

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2024 1:11 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
FIlms get theatrical screenings in N. America

Looks like a small typo snuck in there, should be Films.

Also, I hope we also get a streaming release for these movies, I really don't fancy going to the cinema for what is essentially a recap...
HueyLion

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2024 2:53 pm Reply with quote
Raebo101 wrote:

I HIGHLY doubt many or if any English voice actor can pull off the talent and characteristic that Bocchi's VA did in Japanese. The VA herself is literal Bocchi brought to life through the screams, exaggerated mannerism and character herself.

Not saying its impossible to pull off the Eng dub....but it won't compare to how good the Japanese original dub is.
MFrontier

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2024 5:17 pm Reply with quote
Glad that people who want to watch the compilation films will get to do so now!
InfinityDude88

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2024 5:52 pm Reply with quote
Why only NA again? Crunchyroll usually licenses worldwide with their film releases. Do they not have confidence in properly releasing recap films?
Raebo101

PostPosted: Wed Jun 05, 2024 6:45 pm Reply with quote
HueyLion wrote:
Raebo101 wrote:

I HIGHLY doubt many or if any English voice actor can pull off the talent and characteristic that Bocchi's VA did in Japanese. The VA herself is literal Bocchi brought to life through the screams, exaggerated mannerism and character herself.

Not saying its impossible to pull off the Eng dub....but it won't compare to how good the Japanese original dub is.

Says you. Rolling Eyes But I guess we'll never know, huh?
OrangeRafi

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2024 4:08 am Reply with quote
Why only NA? Did CR forgot that they also service other english speaking countries? I will still watch this even if it's a recap.
Southkaio

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2024 5:35 am Reply with quote
I hope this Bocchi thing gets dubbed in English this time.
Jabootu

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2024 6:03 am Reply with quote
I'm with HueyLion. The first time I saw a clip of the K-On! dub I got hives. The Japanese voice acting in Bocchi is similarly perfect. And obviously the songs would all still be in Japanese, with different voices. Why would anyone want a dub of this show in particular? It's mystifying.
Raebo101

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2024 7:26 am Reply with quote
Jabootu wrote:
I'm with HueyLion. The first time I saw a clip of the K-On! dub I got hives. The Japanese voice acting in Bocchi is similarly perfect. And obviously the songs would all still be in Japanese, with different voices. Why would anyone want a dub of this show in particular? It's mystifying.

It's really not. If Zombie Land Saga can receive an excellent English dub (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2O_VSZsXZNY), so can this one.
varmintx

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2024 5:13 pm Reply with quote
Do compilation films like these usually get new multichannel audio mixes for theaters, or is it just going to be stereo?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1