• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
EP. REVIEW: My Hero Academia Season 7

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LoopyChew
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 1:02 pm Reply with quote
[quote="NeverConvex"][quote="MyMasterMatthew"]I don't understand this line from the review. I'm wondering if that's because I haven't read the manga and haven't watched the movies?[/quote]

The American hero in this episode was previously featured (and only appeared in) the first movie, I think, and people usually assume the movies aren't canon, but her appearance here seems to have at least partially canonized that film. Think that's what Nick was referring to.[/quote]

I don't even remember if the manga tied S&S's origin story to the flashback from the first movie. The manga would eventually incorporate cameo appearances from people in other movies, so it's entirely possible.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 1:29 pm Reply with quote
NeverConvex wrote:
MyMasterMatthew wrote:
I don't understand this line from the review. I'm wondering if that's because I haven't read the manga and haven't watched the movies?

The American hero in this episode was previously featured (and only appeared in) the first movie, I think, and people usually assume the movies aren't canon, but her appearance here seems to have at least partially canonized that film. Think that's what Nick was referring to.

Pretty sure this is correct. Although, I seem to recall that for each movie they mentioned that the events were canon, it's just that they still follow the Shonen Jump formula of not affecting anything in the series.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2024 7:24 pm Reply with quote
As I said before: this season onwards make the first movie cannon and kinda goes with the idea the reader has seen it, though, nothing really relevant until Season 8.

The second movie is also kinda canonized, but at a lesser extend, which makes sense since that movie has quite the number of plotholes.

It's nothing that can't be worked around with flashbacks so if you don't wanna see them, don't do it.

This is not the "Kurogiri is Shirakumo" situation, where, quite frankly, you NEED to read the 5ish chapters of MHA: Vigilantes that tell us Aizawa's past in order to get the full impact, the flashback just didn't cut it.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Wed May 08, 2024 6:12 pm Reply with quote
"Tagatame" is my new second favorite intro for the series, "Peace Sign" is still the best tough.

Anyways, if you ask me, more than a plot device to nerf Shigaraki, Star was more than a way to give a huge excuse to the world to not to send their heroes to Japan, a good chunk of these episodes have been to justify why Japan is fighting alone.
Heishi

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 10:36 am Reply with quote
And there it is.

The completely wasteful and unnecessary end of what could have been the single best character on this whole series, only for Horikoshi to kneecap me in the crotch, because he felt the need to show "OMG, how scary powerful the villain is for Deku(Link?)and his team" in the most nonsensical and eyerolling way.

My opinion on Horikoshi wasn't so hot before as I kept noticing the flaws on this series, mainly on how he writes his female characters
(I also never found Deku to be an interesting protagonist), but this one just dipped immensely and I don't feel the need to press any further.

I'm officially done with this franchise.
Yeah, I'm not gonna let the door hit me on the way out.

Biggest disappointment of 2024.
malvarez1

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 10:43 am Reply with quote
I remember this fight was soooo divisive in the manga, but I agree with the critic on this one.
Takkun4343

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Heishi wrote:
And there it is.

The completely wasteful and unnecessary end of what could have been the single best character on this whole series, only for Horikoshi to kneecap me in the crotch, because he felt the need to show "OMG, how scary powerful the villain is for Deku(Link?)and his team" in the most nonsensical and eyerolling way.

My opinion on Horikoshi wasn't so hot before as I kept noticing the flaws on this series, mainly on how he writes his female characters
(I also never found Deku to be an interesting protagonist), but this one just dipped immensely and I don't feel the need to press any further.

I'm officially done with this franchise.
Yeah, I'm not gonna let the door hit me on the way out.

Biggest disappointment of 2024.

And to make matters worse, apparently this website still hasn't learned its lesson about posting spoilers on the front page! Because forget those of us who haven't seen the episodes yet, right!?

t. someone who dropped MHA halfway through last season because of another, completely different mature female hero Horikoshi killed off for B.S. reason
zaenzcampbaesa1

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 5:37 pm Reply with quote
The level of bias of the reviewers on this website is something else. Last year these "journalists" tore apart JJK season 2, Bleach TYBW and Demon Slayer for every minimal thing they could, but this reviewer praises this fight of a character that not only is introduced to be killed in the same fight, but that actually has 0 repercutions later in the story.
This woman was used as a plot device only to pseudo-nerf the villain, she lasted 2 episodes, didn't even meet the main cast, introduces an overpowerded ability which had to be taken from the story immediately with a really poor excuse.

Ah but of course, My Hero Academia has favoritism on this website and is not measured with the same pole as other similar shonen series. The massive narrative problems can be overlooked in this series because the reviewer and the other crew members like it best.
Everlasting Coconut

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 9:21 pm Reply with quote
I like Star. Yeah, she came out of nowhere, her fight was really awkward due to the excessive dialogue and exposition, and the limitations of her quirk were really vague. But what ultimately mattered to me is how everyone went into that fight expecting Star to be the only one to survive (even Star herself told the pilots that she would bring their corpses back to their families), yet in the end, she chose to protect her bros over her own life. That moment was increadibly endearing to me, as well as her salute and her line thanking All Might for allowing her to "lose herself in a wonderful dream." I admit I even shed a couple of tears. So yeah, Star's cool in my book.
malvarez1

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 9:49 pm Reply with quote
zaenzcampbaesa1 wrote:
The level of bias of the reviewers on this website is something else. Last year these "journalists" tore apart JJK season 2, Bleach TYBW and Demon Slayer for every minimal thing they could, but this reviewer praises this fight of a character that not only is introduced to be killed in the same fight, but that actually has 0 repercutions later in the story.
This woman was used as a plot device only to pseudo-nerf the villain, she lasted 2 episodes, didn't even meet the main cast, introduces an overpowerded ability which had to be taken from the story immediately with a really poor excuse.

Ah but of course, My Hero Academia has favoritism on this website and is not measured with the same pole as other similar shonen series. The massive narrative problems can be overlooked in this series because the reviewer and the other crew members like it best.

This only works if all these reviews were written by the same person.
zaenzcampbaesa1

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 10:17 pm Reply with quote
malvarez1 wrote:
zaenzcampbaesa1 wrote:

You'd think that these reviews here would be somewhat objective in nature and not just some opinions by regular fans of anime who overlook or exagerate problems in a show's narrative depending on how much they like said shows. These are supposedly to be professional review posts.
jdnation

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Minos_Kurumada wrote:
"Tagatame" is my new second favorite intro for the series, "Peace Sign" is still the best tough.

Anyways, if you ask me, more than a plot device to nerf Shigaraki, Star was more than a way to give a huge excuse to the world to not to send their heroes to Japan, a good chunk of these episodes have been to justify why Japan is fighting alone.

Wanted to say this. Star's appearance here was basically to reinforce why no one else was coming to Japan's aid. Governments are rightly prioritizing their own people. Star and her squad went rogue to at least try, and here are the results. No doubt further intimidating any future reattempts for awhile.

I'm okay with her brief time. It would've been nice if she was built up a little more in the past. But what we got was pretty good. The focus rightly needs to be on the UA students and Japan's heroes solving this crisis.
Vanadise

PostPosted: Mon May 13, 2024 10:42 pm Reply with quote
zaenzcampbaesa1 wrote:
You'd think that these reviews here would be somewhat objective in nature

No, I wouldn't. Reviews are inherently subjective. If you're looking for objectivity, you should just be reading product descriptions or summaries. If I'm reading a review, it's because I want to know the reviewer's opinion.
Minos_Kurumada

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2024 9:51 am Reply with quote
zaenzcampbaesa1 wrote:
malvarez1 wrote:
zaenzcampbaesa1 wrote:

You'd think that these reviews here would be somewhat objective in nature and not just some opinions by regular fans of anime who overlook or exagerate problems in a show's narrative depending on how much they like said shows. These are supposedly to be professional review posts.

Hero Academia is not PLUTO nor Berserk nor HXH.

BUT, arguing its issues are in the same level of JJK S2, Bleach or KnY its not an objective view.

I can write a book about how not to phase a series with KnY, another one with how not to deal with a cast with JJK and another one on how not to write....whatever with Bleach.

That being said, objectivity doesn't exist, everybody its biased one way or another.
MarshalBanana

PostPosted: Tue May 14, 2024 2:36 pm Reply with quote
This has been one of my favourite fights in the entire show, and while it was sad to see Star go after only 2 episodes, I did love her fudge you final gift.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3