• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
mgree0032's Thread for EveryDub Everywhere All at Once.

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mgree0032

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 8:01 am Reply with quote
If you had only these 2 options, which one would you choose and why?

1) Good voice acting with bad translations.
2) Bad voice acting with good translations.

Would you sacrifice a good translation for good voice acting or would you sacrifice a good voice acting for good translations? For me, I would sacrifice a good translation for good voice acting easily.
Alan45
Village Elder

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2024 8:05 pm Reply with quote
It depends on what kind of bad translation you mean. First there is a translation that is factually wrong and changes what people say and misrepresents relationships. Most of us, not understanding spoken Japanese, aren't going to notice that and will only find out about it when people complain about it online. Anyone who knows Japanese well enough to notice this type of poor translation are most likely listen to the original Japanese.

The other type of bad translation is where it is accurate but rendered into unrealistic English. Poor word choice and poor syntax. Unfortunately this sort of translation is usually so irritating that most people will not notice the quality of the voice acting.

For myself, as long as the voice acting is not so bad as to take me out of the show, to break the spell so to speak, it is good enough. One thing I can't stand is when the voice actor tries to replicate the very high pitch speech of a Japanese girl. English speakers seldom speak like this beyond grade school. I mostly prefer to watch anime subtitled for this and other reasons.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2